19th October:

On a pleasant, sunny Autumnal morning, the walkers gathered in the lay-by at Cutthroat Bridge at 9.15 a.m. With the greetings over and the good-natured banter that followed, Graham lead the party down the road and crossed onto the moors below Derwent Edge. A leisurely ascent through the heather followed and on gaining the track at the top of Whinstone Lee, the view opened up below us of Derwent Reservoir bathed in sunshine.It was noted that the reservoir level was high due to the earlier wet August. Along the track from White Tor, the Salt Cellar, and Dovestones Tor, the Peak Park Authority was reconstructing parts of the path with the help of large earth moving machines in an effort to combat erosion. There was also signs of Archaeological digs nearby.


On reaching Bradfield Gate Head, Geoff encouraged Graham keep going North to Back Tor. A bit of fun followed in climbing up and onto the Trig Point that marked its summit. Our resident photographer, Jonathan, was bidden to record the event on his camera. Turning back South the group headed back to Bradfield Gate Head and then turned east along Foulstone Road passing grouse butts and approaching ,struggling cyclists, who were making their way up the steepish and prolonged path. Strines Bridge was reached by 11.30 a.m. Graham asked the party if they wanted to stop for a refreshment break at the Strines Pub or push on to Low Bradfield. To a man, they all voted for the latter. A left hand turn on the road and an uphill section led to a fingerpost on the right pointing to Dale Dike Reservoir. The higher path above the reservoir was followed and with tummies rumbling, the leader suggested that the party kept a look out for a lunch stop. Too late, with the metalled road gained, signs of private land deterred us from lingering along the wayside. Syd suggested a good lunch stop could be had at the cricket ground where wooden benches were available.

With the onset of a possible shower, Graham suggested sitting on the benches below the stone wall at the top of the field where some protection from the elements could be had. A good view of the road we had trodden, could be gained from here and as we tucked into our sandwiches Geoff mischieviously reminded Graham that nearly half the party was missing. After a short shower and a few anxious minutes Jonathan, Martin, and Lionel appeared below the field. In true leadership style Graham called them to join the main party. But where were the remainder? Could they have gone directly to the pub?

Lunch over, we walked to the Plough on the other side of the village. As we rounded the corner Mike, Rod and Jerry were spotted sipping ale at one of the outside tables. Under Rod’s command they had taken a short cut to the Pub and they chided us by saying what had kept us! After a glass of the locally brewed Farmer’s Ale of which some half dozen were available to choose from, the party set off on the return. The path from the back of the pub led alongside the grassy banks of the Dale Dike stream and then onto the south bank of Dale Dike reservoir. Jerry, who was not feeling to well, stayed on the road after being given some rudimentary directions to remake Cutthroat Bridge. At the far end of the reservoir the party climbed over a stile in the wall and up a steep bank that led to the Tower folly. After a good look inside the path through the rhododendrons of Sugworth hall was taken. Then across to Moscar Cross Farm and Moscar House to reach the cars where Jerry was waiting for us to return. It was now a quarter to five and the distance covered was 16 miles.

Tea was taken at the Hut at 6 p.m.