November 20th - 22nd:

Rick: Peppit M & R, Sampson E, Johnson R, March-Shawcross E and Shawcross R opted for a day out on the Grade 1 scramble of Llech Ddu Spur. Parking up in Gerlan at the eastern edge of Bethesda we head up and crossed Afon Llafar to find the footpath next to private farmland. Gradually following the Afon Llafar up the valley for 3kms we found increasing quantities of snow. As the way levels we were faced by the cliffs of Llech Ddu. A quick conflab and the  route up was located. A scree covered bank lead to the hanging valley of Cwmglas Bach and the scramble started on the left wall of the cwm. The route proved easy progress for most and stunning views were available back to the Menai Straights. As the wind picked up we sought some shelter for lunch perched on various shelves. Progress after lunch was slower for some including an interesting arse slide across an exposed slab. The snow made for a more interesting day and the scramble was enjoyed by all. Topping out led to a period in the stiff wind and sleet. Clouds rolled in as we dropped off the top with the Peppits, Johnson and Sampson making the ridge line before the clagg. The Shawcross brothers (engaged in conversation) missed the ridge line and put Ed's Mac skills to a good test. The clagg remained until the valley floor and some proper snow added to the atmosphere. Once back in the valley the track was retraced to the cars.


Geoff: An unlucky 13 of us (Peppit sen, Brown, Browne, Clowes, Eastwood, Goodier, Hood, Hughes, Lodder, Lovatt, Milne, Pierce, Sampson sen) ascended the magnificent scrambly and alpine like ridge of Moel Siabod in snowy and windy  and cold conditions, made the more enjoyable by seeing the hat belonging to Pierce blow away by a strong gust, and by a freak of nature, turn and blow back to him. Unfortunately, the shock was too much and he was unable to grab it as it past and it now rests, Pierceless, at the base of a cliff! The fine summit made, bad weather clagging in over Snowdon and the Carneddaus, and a snowy descent was executed, with Pierce once again at the centre of things, as he barged past Browne, breaking the recently retired Judge’s stick and gashing his leg, and without more ado, continued on his erratic way.

Tony C reports (indirectly): With Mike Johnson, the two crocks parked near Nantmor and hobbled over Cwm Bychan to a fine descent to the Gwynant Valley. Back by Beddgelert and the riverside path which taxed the two senior members hips and other limbs.

Chris: Protagonists:  Chris Willan, Mike Travis, Bryan Benton, John Skelton. After an excellent breakfast at the hotel, packed lunches collected, the party of walkers made their way by car to the centre Betws-Y-Coed.  From there a route was taken from the back of the church along a broad track signposted to Llyn Elsi ascending steadily into mixed woodland of oak and sycamore giving way higher up to various members of the pine family. After a steady climb the shores of lovely Lyn Elsi were reached with distant views of Moel Siabod. The route back was around the lake and then dropping down through open ground and then woodland to Pentre Du Farm and the A5 road. Crossing the road the Miners Bridge gave access across the falls to the north side of Afon Llugwy where a delightful river walk returned us back into Betswy. Tea was taken back at the Tyn-Y-Coed and we all stayed together for this 5 mile ramble!

Phil: We (Bob, the "criminal driver" et moi) parked below a gully near a hydro plant, scrambled up it, were blown about, went over a big craggy hill (Lliwedd?), turned right up a ridge in blizzard. Topped out on Snowdon, turned right again to complete circuit. Didn't have map. Navigated by car headlamps. Sad to miss AGM. Good day, better company. Not sure where we'd been? Thank you for consideration of this report.

Axel: Friday: Crowther brought  Barnes and myself in his car to the carpark nearest the summit of Moel Famau. We met up with Harris and Johnson and, between squally showers, walked to the top of the Moel where we had lunch. It was very windy on top but the monument gave us shelter and in the sun.

We got back to the cars just before the next shower. We then set off for the Tyn y Coed and arrived in mid-afternoon, but our lingering thoughts of another walk were dispelled by the warmth of the open fire in the bar.

Saturday: It dawned bright and clear with an inviting  view of Moel Siabod, adorned with fresh snow, through our bedroom window.   But we had done MS last time at TyC so Tony Crowther kindly took Harris, Stout, Barnes and myself to Pont Dolgarrog in the Conwy valley before motoring back to set off on his own walk with Johnson.

We set off  with enthusiasm. Too much enthusiasm, for it was the wrong path. Having corrected my error we ascended by a very steep and winding concrete road, covered with fallen leaves, past a water treatment works to the higher ground. Here we descended a little to go along a very well marked path to Llyn Cowlyd Reservoir. Well, at least, it was very well marked on the OS map but, as we progressed, it became more and more difficult to follow on the ground. We managed to find a footbridge where it crossed an aqueduct but after that it was anyone's guess. Eventually it became seriously boggy as well as overgrown and we made for higher ground where we could see a large waterpipe and a moving Landrover. With Harris taking over the lead, we followed a good track and it got quite snowy underfoot. We descended  almost to the water of the reservoir and had lunch in the shelter of a large boulder. A couple of persons passed by.  It was not the sort of day to tarry over lunch so we soon set off for the head of the reservoir and climbed up to the top of the path from Bron Heulog on the A5 which we hit at 2:45pm. It was drizzling lightly but we thought it too early to return directly to the hotel so we made a detour past Plas y Brenin where we were impressed by the plastic ski slope.

Sunday: The morning was wet at Capel Curig so, having packed our bags, Crowther, Barnes, Johnson, Harris and myself motored to Llandudno where it was fine with a cold wind and we watched runners going round the Great Orme, walked over the Pier, and along the Front. After eating lunch in the car, Crowther drove  Barnes and myself back to Thornhill.


The AGM went smoother than anticipated with the new President, the silky tongued Lionel Stout, speeding the hut discussions along swiftly and satisfactorily. The Officers and Committee members remained the same, except for the inclusion of Martin Clowes as the VP, and Ed Sampson joining the younger members on the Committee. Micky Finch, and Fin Swift were remembered. A free drink afterwards was with the blessing of absent members, Peter Greenaway, Derek Grayson, Brian Griffiths and Nick Tudor. Fin left a donation in his will for after dinner port or brandy. A fine dinner was followed by speeches by Crowson (subdued), Stout, Lett and Judge Browne. Entertainment was by the Greeks - Cotton, Pierce, Browne - followed by dish smashing; Skellie recited the Jabberwocky and the guest performed an impromptu song. The entertainment finished with a fine unrehearsed court room drama with Pierce in the dock after his shameful behaviour on the hill.  Sunday was wet and most drifted off home.