21st October 2018

The day was organised impeccably right from the start. John’s neighbour, the owner of an airport minibus taxi, transported us to the start at Chelmorton. And off we set. John’s retirement and gym regime had obviously paid dividends, as he even surprised himself by leading consistently from the front – at a nice pace. The route took us via the Waterloo (too early to stop), Priestcliffe, Litton Mill, Watercum Jolly (where the climbers reminisced about routes climbed long ago) and lunch in the sun at Cressbrook. Up passed Ravensdale, and then, before we realised it, passed the Peters Stone and therefore unable to ascend. The Three Horseshoes loomed out of the descending mist, and like an episode of The League of Gentlemen, we entered into a different world. Lurchers were noted ambling around in the dark and shouts were heard to “shut the door”; Seats by the fire were not to be touched on any account! We were directed into the next door room and the landlord Geoff (a character who couldn’t be invented) took his time lighting the fire. Tony Browne kindly bought the first round, whilst Jonathan bought the second, and consequently suffered the indignity of trying to pay by card. A lurcher came into our room, looked at us, then promptly peed on the floor. A lady came in, who always assists with the Sunday afternoon folk singing, and got into intense conversation with Easters, Graham and Syd, who began reliving his early Sheffield memories. Crowson appeared on his bike, and wearing not quite lycra, insisted on wearing his helmet throughout the duration. A young couple appeared, but no one saw them leave. Concern was raised that they might end up in a pie. Then it was time to leave. What a place – a time warp. Then back to the hut via Foolow and Eyam, on a glorious afternoon, to be greeted by Ann Marie’s magnificent repast. Controversy reigned whether it was 15 miles or 12. Syd as always said it was about 10.

Climbing: The cavers decided, as it was a nice day, to stay above ground and climb on Curbar in the autumn sun instead. A good tally of routes were climbed in that less frequented area between Froggatt and the main Curbar crag.

By J Skelton: Walkers met at the club hut and the majority  availed themselves of the official transport  whilst the overspill went with Cotton. This process was predictably chaotic and, in part, explains why Clowes was left behind. Rumours that members wished to avoid further discussion on matters H&S are, of course, entirely disingenuous. The group re-united at Chelmorton church, the start of the walk. The route passed the illy-willy water and picked up the Limestone Way as we passed Five Wells Farm. The A6 was successfully negotiated at the Waterloo prior to descent to Millers Dale.  At this point, the group revolted and refused to follow the Leader along the Monsal trail, preferring the easier route through Litton, Water-cum -Jolly to Cressbrook and  lunch.  Good pace took us to the Three Stags Head where refreshment was taken. Members enjoyed the Gothic vibe provided.  Crowson, in full cycling regalia, joined us at this point and added to the festivities. Home via Foolow and Eyam and an excellent tea which Benton attended knowing the quality of his daughter’s cooking. Cotton stuck to his guns and ‘’stayed high all day.” Even so, the leader judged him to be no worse than usual and accepted his kind offer of a lift at close of play.